Samsung’s mobile phones portfolio is increasing day by day , and every new addition is touch enabled. These new additions are certainly going to strengthen Samsung’s hold in the most lucrative mobile phone market i.e. India. Samsung has launched Star (S5233) , Star 3G (S5603) and BEAT DJ in India, and all these are very competitively priced under 20k INR. So, after launching high end touch enabled mobile phone like Omnia HD , Samsung is now eyeing the mid range segment with these mobile phone. All these mobile phones are equipped with Samsung’s TOUCHWIZ UI , which provide a widget enabled touchscreen, providing high level of user customization.
Samsung Star (S5233)
- 3.0-inch WQVGA full-touch screen and Samsung’s TouchWiz User Interface with Mobile Widgets and an accelerometer sensor
- “Photo Contact,” to call a contact by touching an appointed image.
- 3.2 mega-pixel camera with smile recognition
- multi-format playback and Samsung’s DNSe sound engine
- recognition using Shazam’s “Find Music” service
- 50MB Internal memory, expandable up to 8GB via microSD cards
- Google applications like Google Search, Gmail, Google maps; online widgets and photo blogging
- Gesture Control is a new feature added that allows the user to unlock the touch screen or run an application by just giving a gesture command. User can assign alphabets from A to Z to these applications or commands, and just by drawing these alphabets on the idle Homescreen, the program is launched.
Samsung Star 3G (S5603)
- Same features as the S5233 including Gesture Control
- 3G enabled phone, with full Internet browsing support
- accelerometer sensor for auto-rotation
- 3.2 mega-pixel camera with Power LED Flash and 80MB Internal memory expandable up to 8GB.
Samsung’s intuitive DISC User Interface, the BEAT DJ comes fully loaded with Bang & Olufsen audio technology. It was announced in Mobile World Congress 2009 . With the Beat DJ UI , users will be able to add preloaded voice samples and sound effects to their favorite songs and record it. Users can also ‘scratch’ the records by swiping their fingers across the display.
- 2.8-inch AMOLED touchscreen display (240 x 400 pixels with 16 million colors), accelerometer
- 50MB internal microSD card slot (up to 16GB)
- 3MP AF camera, Geo-tagging, Smile Shot, Face Detection
- HSDPA, EDGE
- Bluetooth v 2.1, USB 2.0 (micro)
- GPS with A-GPS
- DivX, XviD, WMV, MP4 playback support
- 3.5mm AV socket, DNSe, SRS Virtual Surround
- FM radio with recording
- 50MB internal memory, expandable to 8GB with the micro SD card
- built-in real stereo speakers – powered by B&O’s ICEpower amplifier
Beat DJ video
STAR (S5233) : INR 11,100
Star 3G (S5603) : INR 14,499
BEAT DJ : INR 18,990
As the price of these full touchscreen phone are very competitive, I think other mobile handsets, which also planned to launch cheap touchscreen mobile phones, are really going to have a tough time in future. Samsung, has already taken a lead in this segment and time is not far, when Samsung will become No.1 mobile manufacturer around the globe.